P&Q’s: Chicken in a Pot – the Garlic and Lemon Version

It’s time to cook the cover, Everyone,  and I hope you all will participate. I made this recipe a week ago and loved it. I followed the recipe as Dorie wrote it and even had a screwdriver at the ready. Have fun with this one. But, if you have problems, issues, concerns or tips, please leave them on our FFWD link so everyone can participate whether they are on Facebook or not.

Post Author

This post was written by who has written 112 posts on French Fridays with Dorie.

6 Responses to “P&Q’s: Chicken in a Pot – the Garlic and Lemon Version”

1. Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) May 17, 2015 at 2:22 PM #

I made this last weekend and confess that it wasn’t my favourite chicken recipe (I love a good roast chicken). The chicken on the cover looks like a roast chicken but this most definitely is not roasted. I used a small dutch oven that the chicken fit snugly into like it shows but I found there was too much liquid and the veggies were a little soggy and the bottom of the chicken was more like boiled. I’m making it again because I think the liquid might be more than it needs and I am also going to use chicken pieces instead of a whole chicken – I found it hard to brown the whole chicken evenly all over. I think also (thanks Trevor) that if I adjust my expectations – this is a braised chicken dish, not a roast – it will meet them! Clearly I am chicken-challenged this week since it seems many of you already made this too and loved it!

2. rosa May 17, 2015 at 4:12 PM #

I made it and loved it, but heartily agree with Mardi that chicken pieces would be the way to go next time. The whole chicken may be more photogenic, but it was also quite unwieldy.

3. Cafe Mom May 17, 2015 at 11:37 PM #

I made this tonight and I used chicken thighs. Good to know that pieces worked the best. My husband browned the chicken and he must of done it right as our skin stayed crispy. We did not have a lot of liquid left in our pot by maybe it was due to my handy work with the not so tight lid and dough. Pictures to follow.

• Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) May 18, 2015 at 8:03 AM #

I made this with bone-in skin on chicken breasts and less liquid the second time around. Much easier to manage – Rosa is right it’s a bit unwieldy the whole chicken when you are trying to brown it – although I prefer my veggies crispy as opposed to cooked in liquid like that.

4. Cher May 19, 2015 at 9:21 PM #

Awww. This is our last P&Q. :-( I am already having withdrawals.

All of my problems this week were of my own making. I actually followed the recipe…mostly.

5. onewetfoot May 21, 2015 at 3:21 AM #

This worked out beautifully for me, although I think I got a little carried away with the amount of vegetables, so it all took a bit longer to cook than the recipe specifies. Next time I’ll roast extra in a pan alongside and put fewer in the pot.